Back to RWCMD main site

Award-Winner Llewelyn Tells All

26 February 2013

Filed Under:

Harp
Music

Second year undergraduate harpist and blogger, Sophie Clarke, spoke to fellow student and Lyon & Healy Award Winner Llewelyn Jones about his experience: 

Firstly, congratulations on your outstanding performance. What was your reaction to winning?
“Considering the number and quality of contestants, I was not expecting to win. I was pretty much speechless and didn’t know where to turn to or what to do.  Suddenly I had to walk home and get my suit for the winner’s recital, discuss which of the winners would play which piece, tune the harp, practice, and eat!”

What was your practice regime? Was there any last minute panic practice?  ”
“In the final stages of preparation, I found myself struggling to put all the pieces together. Two days before the awards, my energy levels and ambition had started to deteriorate and many loose ends still needed to be tied up. I never panic practice but I did have a bit of a ‘light-bulb moment’ and approached one of my co-contestants, Megan Morris, to ask if she had any interest of practising together.  We went through every corner of the Britten together at half tempo until closing hours, facing each other with the metronome in between.  It was like performing to one another and felt like a great way of killing two birds with one stone.”

Apart from winning the award, what were the most memorable moments of the festival for you?
“After a stunning performance, Maria Luisa Rayan-Forero ended her recital with some words about her previous visit to Cardiff many years ago when she had spoken no English and had been mothered by the lovely Meinir Heulyn. Maria had been eternally grateful during that visit to have experienced a performance like none other, as she had watched in awe of a harpist in the prime of her performing career. That harpist was Caryl Thomas, my mentor. It was a poignant moment of the festival for me, knowing that a harpist I have admired greatly for many years had once been so inspired and impassioned whilst listening to one of Caryl’s legendary performances.”

How do you intend to spend the £2,000 prize money?
“If I could, I would like to buy the biggest bouquet of flowers for my grandmother but I’m not sure that’s what Lyon & Healy intended so I will put the money towards continuing my music studies next year.”

“I was very proud of the College for embarking on this landmark Festival and also I must express my gratitude to Caryl Thomas, as I have always been honoured to be her student. Even more so, seeing how she committed herself to achieve this success. She is invincible!” Llewelyn Jones