Recalling my Doctor Who Adventure

19 March 2013

Production and Design

As the legendary Doctor Who celebrates his 50th birthday this year, we catch up with alumnus James North, who tells us a little about his experiences working as Associate Designer on the iconic series:

I joined the series as Assistant Supervising Art Director in 2006 at the start of Season Two. It was my first role in TV and I soon learned the ropes under the watchful eye of Stephen Nicholas and RWCMD Fellow Edward Thomas who ran the Art Department at the time.

Then, ten months later, Russell T Davies announced the beginning of the Torchwood series and our brief changed completely; we were now designing and shooting two high-profile shows at the same time and this quickly became three with the arrival of The Sarah Jane Adventures. I became the Associate Designer on Season Three.

RWCMD gave me the practical experience, work ethic, and technical ability to sit anywhere within a TV art department. I’m still Edward’s Associate Designer, and we’re now working on the Starz/BBC Wordwide co-production Da Vinci’s Demons – another huge creative adventure. It’s no surprise that on this production, which has an art department of 50, we currently have 15 RWCMD graduates working with us on a permanent basis and many more ad-hoc additions.

David S Goyer’s Da Vinci’s Demons premieres this Spring on the Fox and Starz networks. The show involves a number of RWCMD alumni, so watch this spot for more info!