Back to RWCMD main site

Acting Graduate Makes R4 Directorial Debut

16 May 2013

Filed Under:

Acting

Peter Darney, who graduated in 2001 winning a contract with the BBC Radio Drama Company through the Carleton Hobbs Bursary Award, is directing his first play for BBC R4.

Peter-Darney

Since graduating, Peter has featured as an actor in more than 100 BBC radio dramas.

As a director, he has worked on Githa, which is soon to move to the West End’s St James Theatre from York Theatre Royal; his direction of Frank Sent Me won Writer’s Avenue Best Play in 2011, and he’s preparing for an open-air production of Tom’s Midnight Garden this coming July.

“My training at RWCMD gave me a great start in my career,” says Peter. “I still draw on it today. As well as developing my skills, RWCMD gave me the awareness to know what I needed and the ability to reflect and develop as an artist. Knowing how well my College was, and is, respected in the industry really helped to build my self-confidence when I was starting out in a competitive world.”

Marilyn Le Conte is a long-serving lecturer in the acting department, and oversees the College’s radio training.

This is an incredible achievement, as any radio producer will tell you. Many submissions are made annually by experienced and venerable radio producers, but very few are chosen.
Marilyn LeConte, Senior Lecturer in Acting

Kindness will be broadcast on 3rd December 2013 at 2.15 and will be available on BBC’s iPlayer across the following week.