2013 Stoutzker Prize Finalist: Vanessa Bowers

19 June 2013

Music
Vocal & Opera Studies

2013 Stoutzker Prize finalist Vanessa Bowers talks about life, RWCMD and becoming a finalist in this year’s Stoutzker Prize competition:

vanessa-bowers

“I previously studied in London and my singing teacher suggested I look at the MA Opera Performance course here in Cardiff as she had a feeling that it would appeal to me, and of course she was right. From the moment I arrived for my audition the College had a quality about it. The new facilities were still being built and the College felt fresh and exciting. The panel for my audition were very welcoming and so unlike what I had previously experienced that I left feeling upbeat and desperately hoping that I got in. When I did, I was thrilled.

Between myself, my teacher and my coach we’ve devised a programme for the competition which I am really looking forward to singing, so I have plenty of practice to do! It would be absolutely amazing to win; I would be over the moon.

Being given the chance to sing a programme of my choice with all the available RWCMD resources is such a privilege and, whatever the outcome of the evening, I know it’s going to be a very special and memorable night for myself and all the other finalists; it’s two days before graduation and it will be an incredible way to finish my time here at the College.

I want to keep having my singing lessons and regular coaching, and the prize money would mean that I could see my teachers as often as I needed in order to be in the best shape possible for auditions and performances. I’d like to audition for European opera companies and to make my way around the UK; the money would pay for me to be able to do that too.”