A Student Perspective on World Stage Design

26 September 2013

Production and Design

There’s a lovely buzz at the college as the new term gets underway. But some students starting their courses this week actually arrived in Cardiff early to immerse themselves in the world of performance design. BA Theatre Design and Stage Management students were part of the team of volunteers that made World Stage Design 2013 here at the college possible.

Luned Evans, who has just started the BA in Theatre Design, was one of the volunteers. She tells us about the experience.

Luned Evans web“I arrived right at the start of September, and did a lot of ‘labouring’ work at first – preparing boards and plinths for the exhibition, painting, sanding, drilling…

“When the event started, I was part of the documenting team, so I went around photographing everything that was going on. I got to go to performances and talks by practitioners from around the world. And it was really interesting watching people’s reactions to the exhibition and events.

“I met designers and model box makers, and talked to them about their work – everyone was so friendly and approachable. There were some really well-respected names, like Pamela Howard – I learnt a lot from hearing her speak.

“By the end of the ten days, I was fully immersed in the world of theatre design. It’s definitely made me really excited to start my course and it’s given me a new perspective on how the professionals do things. I was mainly interested in set design but now I’ve seen how many directions theatre design can take you in, I’m keeping an open mind.”