Back to RWCMD main site

Flautist Jack’s Concerto Performance

27 May 2014

Filed Under:

Junior Conservatoire

Congratulations to flautist Jack Mainwaring who has won the Royal Welsh Junior Conservatoire Concerto Competition. Jack will be performing at their annual summer concert in the Dora Stoutzker Hall on 12th July.

Before Jack heads off for the summer we caught up with him to find out about his time with Junior Conservatoire:

After auditioning at the age of ten, Jack has been coming to Junior Conservatoire for the last eight years. He’s busy studying for his A Levels in Double Maths, Biology and Chemistry at Coleg Gwent Crosskeys College at the moment, and has been offered a place at both Churchill College, Cambridge to read Natural Sciences and at the Royal Welsh College to study flute.

“I enjoy Junior Conservatoire because gives me time away from my academic studies, and the opportunity to meet new people and build great friendships with individuals that share the same musical interests as myself – as well as giving me experience in orchestra, chamber groups and as an individual soloist.

Using the skills and expertise gained from Junior Conservatoire, I auditioned and won a place in both National Youth Wind Orchestra of Wales and the National Youth Orchestra of Wales. I’d definitely recommend the Junior Conservatoire – it’s the ideal place to go if you want to pursue your musical interests. I’ve decided to accept my place at Cambridge with the vision to continue with my love of playing the flute.”

Jack will be performing Nielsen’s Concerto for the Flute with the Junior Conservatoire Orchestra.

There’ll also be a free performance from Junior Conservatoire in the College foyer before the concert.

Junior Conservatoire is currently auditioning students for September intake.