David Doidge: From RWCMD to WNO

8 July 2014

Vocal & Opera Studies

Congratulations to David Doidge who will join Welsh National Opera (WNO) as a full-time repetiteur when he graduates from Royal Welsh College this week.

David, who has been studying for an MA in Repetiteurship, was among the five recipients of the College’s inaugural Prince of Wales Scholarships for exceptional students in 2013, and was offered a prestigious place at the National Opera Studio in London to continue his training. He works and performs alongside some of the opera world’s  leading artists including Rebecca Evans, Bryn Terfel and Alfie Boe. Last year he performed in Los Angeles at the ceremony that celebrated Welsh talent in America and awarded a Hollywood star to Richard Burton.

David did an undergraduate degree in music here at Royal Welsh College but he initially had a different career mapped out for himself. So how did he get here?

“I loved playing the solo repertoire and I had always imagined a career as a concert pianist.  At College, I started learning more about how the industry works and what opportunities are out there. I started accompanying during my first year and found I really enjoyed it.“

Strong sight-reading skills made David a particularly strong accompanist and it wasn’t long before his potential was noticed by Angela Livingstone, RWCMD’s Head of Opera, who encouraged him to enroll on the College’s newly launched Master’s programme in repetiteurship.

David, with Emyr Jones, in the College's production of The Magic Flute

David, with Emyr Jones, in the College’s production of The Magic Flute

“I got involved in playing for singing lessons and song classes and I got experience of the vast amount of repertoire that’s available across the vocal spectrum, from song repertoire to opera, in all the different languages,” explains David.

Through the College’s close relationship with Welsh National Opera, David found opportunities to gain more experience outside College. “Initially I was involved in some concerts and outreach work with choristers and some of the company principals at WNO. Since then I’ve been in to coach singers and play the piano for music and production rehearsals. “

Last year David coached WNO’s Donizetti season and was the repetiteur for Madam Butterfly and for David Poutney’s acclaimed new production of Lulu, in which he appeared on stage.

“I’ve had an amazing six years here and I feel really well integrated into the professional world, not just here but in London too, “ he says. “ It’s been amazing to watch how the College has been transformed since I started – not just the building and the new facilities but the teachers and professionals who are coming in, and the number of graduates going on to places like the National Opera Studio. “