Back to RWCMD main site

Principal Trumpet at Royal Scottish National Orchestra

26 September 2016

Filed Under:

Brass
Music

Recent music graduate Chris Hart has been appointed Principal Trumpet of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. He will join the Orchestra’s 2016/17 Season which starts in October.

While studying at RWCMD, Chris worked with both BBC National Orchestra of Wales and the orchestra of Welsh National Opera. He also won the College’s prestigious Concerto Competition and performed the Tomasi Trumpet Concerto in St David’s Hall as part of his prize.

“My time as an undergraduate at the Royal Welsh College was crucial to me in finding what I wanted out of my career as a professional musician.

My teacher Philippe Schartz not only provided excellent instrumental tuition, but was also keen for his students to find their own identity in their musicianship. This creative freedom was a vital part of being able to enjoy the time I spent learning at RWCMD.

This support paired with guidance from head of brass, Kevin Price gave me an incredibly strong sense of what I needed to do to achieve success in the orchestral world.

I was also very fortunate to be engaged regularly BBC NOW and with the WNO Orchestra, following my selection for the WNO side-by-side scheme in my third year.

The progress I made while working with these players can’t be overstated. Both orchestras have terrific and very experienced brass sections who were always friendly and willing to impart their knowledge to help a young musician starting out.”

Chris has performed across the UK and Europe with ensembles such as the London Philharmonic, City of Birmingham Symphony and Stavanger Symphony Orchestras, and has recorded with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, BBC National Orchestra of Wales and the Stavanger Symphony Orchestra.