Back to RWCMD main site

First Winner of the Janet Price Opera Prize

Rhodri Prys Jones Janet Opera Prize

15 March 2017

Filed Under:

Vocal & Opera Studies

Congratulations to Rhodri Prys Jones who has won the inaugural Janet Prize Opera Prize, which is open to all first year MA Opera Performance students.

The final took place in the Dora Stoutzker Hall on the 14 February. Each of the four finalists performed a 15-minute programme which had to include an Italian aria in the bel canto tradition, a Mozart aria and a German Lied or French Art song.

Welsh soprano Janet Price, who was also one of the judges, has established this annual prize to support the advanced training of young opera singers. The competition reflects her long-held belief in the Italian bel canto tradition as a fundamental component in the art of operatic performance.

Judges also included Cardiff Singer of the World Artistic Director David Jackson and John Cranmer, Director of Music at RWCMD.

“I am extremely grateful and honoured to have received the inaugural Janet Price prize which will go towards my second year of studies on the Opera Performance course.

I still can’t quite believe I was awarded the prize as there are so many fantastic singers in my year. It means a lot to me to have my name on the first ever Janet Price prize. This will be a huge boost for me towards my further studies at the College.”

Rhodri Prys Jones

The other finalists were Blaise Malaba, Lucy Mellors and Christine Byrne, pictured here with Janet and accompanist, RWCMD Fellow Michael Pollock.

Janet Price Opera Prize competitors

Rhodri, Lucy, Christine and Blaise all competed to be the first winner of the Janet Price Opera Prize

Featured image: Rhodri as Jupiter in RWCMD and Mid Wales Opera’s co-production of Semele. Credit: Matthew Williams-Ellis