Principal Trumpet at Scottish Opera

4 January 2018

Brass
Music

Music graduate Jason Owen Lewis starts his new job as Principal Trumpet for Scottish Opera this month. Jason graduated from Royal Welsh College with a First Class Honours degree in 2011.

“I’m very excited to be starting my new position as Principal Trumpet at the Orchestra of the Scottish Opera.” said Jason.

“Royal Welsh College was such a great start for me, and studying with Philippe Schartz, principal trumpet BBC NOW, before starting college, and then during my four years at RWCMD, gave me a great insight into the musical and technical demands of orchestral playing.”

During my time at the College I was fortunate enough to successfully audition for the side-by-side scheme with the BBC NOW and Welsh National Opera. These are great schemes from which I gained so much experience and resulted in regular freelance work with both orchestras.

Having the time to study and sit among these terrific brass sections was such a fantastic experience as well as a tremendous support to my own development and playing.”

Jason started playing with the National Youth Brass Band of Wales, and by the time he was thirteen he’d passed Grade 8 on both cornet and trumpet with distinction.

At fourteen, he joined the National Youth Orchestra of Wales, and also gained a place as the youngest member of the prestigious London Symphony Orchestra Academy.

Since graduating from College, Jason have been working as a freelance trumpet player with orchestras including: BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Welsh National Opera, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Jason has recently been on trial for BBC Philharmonic, Ulster Orchestra, Scottish Opera, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra among others, and has previously played Principal Trumpet with the European Union Youth Orchestra and played with the Verbier Festival Orchestra.