Back to RWCMD main site

Humans of RWCMD: Organiser & Artistic Director of National Eisteddfod of Wales

3 August 2018

Filed Under:

Music
Vocal & Opera Studies

Introducing Elen Elis, Organiser and Artistic Director of the National Eisteddfod of Wales. An Associate and graduate of the College, Elen is currently working on the National Eisteddfod of Wales in Cardiff Bay, opening today and running until 11 August.

We caught up with her to find out more about her time at College and what she’s up to now.

What did you study at RWCMD?

I undertook an Adv Dip in Music – studying voice (classical).

What do you think of the college now? Has it changed? 

Well, it’s certainly bigger and better! I was there when they opened the Sir Anthony Hopkins Centre, quite a few years ago.

What are you doing now?

I’m the organiser and Artistic Director of the National Eisteddfod of Wales. If you haven’t been, it starts in Cardiff Bay today and it’s a huge cultural festival – everyone’s welcome. Unfenced and open to all.

Favourite memory from college?

I loved performing in various operas/opera scenes and concerts! One particular opera comes to mind – dressed up as Edina from Absolutely Fabulous! The Marriage by Martinu was a fun short opera to get your teeth into. Performing as one of the fairies in The Fairy Queen was also a great experience.

Is there anything you regret not doing?

Well there’s still time I hope to do most things, although I guess I regret not having the time to sing anymore.

Would you rather never be able to speak again of never be able to stop talking?

Oh what a question. I don’t really want to tempt fate! I prefer peace than noise, put it that way! Although some may disagree…