Casualty & Keeping Faith Actor Suzanne Packer Joins RWCMD

24 September 2020

Acting

Actor and director Suzanne Packer, known for her many roles including Casualty and Keeping Faith, is joining the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama as a full-time senior lecturer for the autumn and spring terms. Suzanne is already well-known at the College as a visiting lecturer and regularly sits on the College’s audition panels.

‘I’m delighted to be joining the Royal Welsh College in a more permanent capacity,’ said Suzanne. ‘I’m also looking forward to re-acquainting myself with students I have already worked with as a guest teacher and performer over the last few years.

When I first stepped into the building at the age of 15 (to have singing lessons), I wouldn’t have imagined that this College would have developed to such high esteem and international recognition for acting training.

As a Cardiffian and as a professional actor, I’ve worked with a number of Royal Welsh College alumni, so this makes me especially proud, and it’s a real testimony to the hard work and commitment of the past and current teaching staff. I think these are very exciting times for RWCMD, and to play even a small part in helping these students to explore and build on their existing talents under Jonathan Munby’s leadership is a great privilege.’

Suzanne is the second new appointment by the College’s new Director of Drama Performance Jonathan Munby. Joining RWCMD in August, Jonathan announced that award-winning playwright, screenwriter and poet Chinonyerem Odimba would be the College’s first ever Writer-in-Residence from September.

As part of the College’s new focus on international repertoire, academic and director Dr Shondrika Moss-Bouldin from Georgia State University will be joining the department online this term as a visiting professor, focusing on African American playwrights.

‘We are living in times of great change where a call for diversity across our staff, student intake and repertoire is no longer an option, but an imperative,’ said Jonathan.
I am ready to meet these challenges head on and deliver a programme of work that will truly deliver an acting training for the 21st century.’