Luke Westlake Scholarship Winner, Actor Ayomide Adegun

18 December 2020

Acting

Congratulations to second year actor Ayomide Adegun who’s been awarded the Luke Westlake scholarship – set up to help actors with financial support during their final year of training and as they enter the industry as a new professional.

“Acting changed my life, and put me on the straight and narrow,’ said Ayo. ‘Coming from a working class background has benefited me in a sense that it enabled me to have a range of experiences to draw from.

I decided to pursue drama school when I was 19 because I wanted to enhance my quality and improve my range and cast-ability, as I was always going up for the typical, rough, offender type character but I see myself as much more than that…’

‘The scholarship means so much to me because it means I can get advice from industry professionals who are able to guide me and give me an inside view of what the industry is like and what it demands from a modern-day actor.

It’s also going to help to put financial worries behind me to give me the best chance of developing into the best version of myself after graduating.’

Ayo, centre, with JAM Creative Associate Kyle Rowe, last year's winner Madison Stock, creative director Liam McLauglin and Creative Director Kristian Wall

Ayo, centre, with JAM Creative Associate Kyle Rowe, last year’s winner Madison Stock, creative director Liam McLauglin and Creative Director Kristian Wall

Liam McLaughlin from the Just Add Milk Theatre Company who set up the award said, on behalf of the judges:

‘Not only was Ayo’s interpretation and delivery of the new scripts spot-on, he managed to appear in the top two choices for almost all of the judges which guaranteed him as the winner early on.

He’s a unique talent and demonstrates the rare quality that all actors strive to attain, to be able to listen. Ayo had been incredibly humble in accepting the award and has worn the name of Luke Westlake on his sleeve. We’re truly delighted to support him on his journey and don’t doubt that he’ll go right to the very top.’

As part of his prize Ayo was invited to write an article for A Younger Theatre on what winning the scholarship has meant to him. He’s  passionate about supporting others and talks in it about the importance of other organisations like Open Door and their work with underrepresented groups.

What’s it been like studying at RWCMD?

‘Studying at the College has been a pleasurable, challenging and fulfilling experience so far. Moving from London to Cardiff was a bit of a culture shock at first, mainly because of the environment. It’s a lot slower paced than London and people tend to make slightly more eye contact out there, which was unsettling for me at first, but now I find it very warm and friendly.’

I started as a very ‘get up and go’ type of actor, and training has really helped to enhance my attention to detail and listening skills. RWCMD doesn’t adhere to any particular acting theory or ideology, we touch on many different ones and add them to our tool kit, so we can personally choose what works best for us individually.

But one thing College drills into us is ‘contact’ – the ability to connect with your scene partner, the circumstances of your character or maybe even the audience. It’s a very all-encompassing term. It’s a simple but key fundamental technique I will carry with me throughout my career and life in general.’

What do you love about Acting?

‘I’ve found a career I adore wholeheartedly. It’s given me a platform to express my inner nature, and I’d literally live and die for it. I’m grateful to pursue this regardless of my academic performance, and I hope I can use my experiences to inspire and make negative outcomes for the working class a less prevalent narrative in our society today.

Read Ayo’s full article in A Younger Theatre where he also talks about other issues close to his heart, including the criminal justice system, the education system and improving the lives of young people.

With thanks to A Younger Theatre and Just Add Milk for letting us quote from Ayo’s article.

The featured image is taken from Ayo’s acting for screen project.

Find out more about studying acting at RWCMD here, and about the Luke Westlake Scholarship here: