Meet Our New SU Team

14 October 2021

It’s a new academic year and our Students’ Union team, led by President Becky Mercer, are busy welcoming our students to College.

Meet the Team

I’m Becky, your SU President for this year.

I’m a French horn player and I did my postgrad at RWCMD after doing my music degree at Aberdeen Uni.

I’m originally from a town on the east coast of Scotland and I’m a huge fan of musicals.

The Students’ Union acts as the link between students and staff and we’re here to represent you and empower you to take control of your learning. I’m so excited to be working with such a fabulous team this year.

There are five members of the SU executive team, and you can go to any of them if you’d like to talk to someone.

As our Vice President (VP) for Welfare Emma Shield put it, ‘everyone at College knows first-hand what a huge step university is, so any questions or worries I’ll be happy to help or point in the right direction as best we can.’

‘I can’t wait to see a cohort of first years come in and feel totally acknowledged, accepted and understood, from the very beginning of their journey to the very end;’ Eve Abiodun, VP for Equality and Diversity

Abigail Fraser is our Music VP, so she’s your contact for any questions you might have as music students. ‘I’m a second year Postgrad student on the vocal studies course and this is my sixth year as a Royal Welsher.

I’m originally from a rural village in the Highlands of Scotland, so love a good ceilidh and wee dram, but having called Cardiff my home since 2016, I’ve got a lot of love for Welsh culture, especially the language.’

VP for drama is Campbell Wallace, a third year actor who ‘likes nothing more than pints, poetry and a cheeky slice of DIY. My role includes making sure the curriculum is brimming with interesting classes and being a point of contact for all students in the drama department who want their voices heard.’

SU President Becky introduces HRH The Prince of Wales to Eve, VP Equality & Diversity

Events & Societies

Joining societies is a great way to meet people from outside of your course. We’ve loads of societies that you can be involved in, ranging from folk music to football, mindfulness to karaoke. We also have the Feminist Society, LGBTQIA+ Society and the Diversity Society.

Rob Bull, a fourth year percussionist, is our VP for Events & Societies. ‘I’m into loads of different music, especially stuff I can dance to! I have played on some of the biggest stages in the world including the Royal Albert Hall and Carnegie Hall. I’ll be organising a lot of the social calendar for our SU and looking after our many societies, helping them however I can.’

Cam is most looking forward to starting monthly Collaboration Days, a chance for all students to combine courses, as they ‘greatly enhance our skills, as well as build lasting relationships with our peers.’ While Abi is ‘looking forward to getting as much live music as possible back into our College.’

‘I’m most looking forward to is seeing everyone about the campus and slowly and safely getting back to enjoying all the College events we’ve missed so much,’ said Emma, VP Welfare.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by RWCMD SU (@royalwelshsu)

Equality & Diversity

We believe it’s really valuable to encourage students to talk about issues outside of their discipline.

‘I’m a 21 year old, proud Nigerian woman with five middle names given to me by different members of my extensive family network,’ said VP for Equality & Diversity, final year violinist Eve.

‘I grew up in south London where the best fried chicken in the world originates, in a town that Stormzy, Krept and Konan and Samuel Coleridge-Taylor put on the map. I’ll give you two guesses where that is.

My focus will be advocating for the needs, concerns and acknowledgment of the student body, particularly those who identify with a protected characteristic. As a passionate racial activist and aspiring ally, I’ve a slight obsession with history and psychoanalysis, I believe those help explain our behaviour as human beings.’

The SU do a lot of fundraising for different charities, led by Emma, a fourth year Percussionist like Rob. ‘When I’m not in College you’ll find me either working at the Rhostio Coffee or walking about Roath Park and the local area finding the go-to spots to bring my friends the next weekend.’

‘As an SU we want to support you and create a healthy and happy atmosphere for both your learning and buzzing social lives as best we can.’

Thank you to Becky and the whole SU Team for talking to us.

To find out more about the Students’ Union, visit their website.