A Visit From Rob Brydon

19 March 2015

Acting
Musical Theatre

Fellow, friend and former student of the college Rob Brydon was at the college last night, leading a masterclass with students from our acting and musical theatre courses.

Rob shared stories from his own career, took part in a Q&A, and led an improvisation session with some of the students.

Final year actor Charlotte Merriam was one of the actors on stage with Rob during the masterclass. She said:

“I really liked his focus on perseverance and hard work, you have to dedicate yourself totally to what you do and not give up. I also really liked his focus on being a nice person to work with – which is a really RWCMD mentality.”

Musical Theatre student Melissa Bayern said: “Rob was absolutely brilliant and the masterclass felt extremely personal and intimate. I definitely took away valuable knowledge that I can bring with me into my professional career.”

Student Caitlin McKee added: “Being Cardiff born and bred, it was especially inspiring to see a Welsh comedy legend take time out to talk to us.”

Rob got his big commercial break with Marion and Geoff, which he starred in and co-wrote with fellow RWCMD graduate Hugo Blick. Another famous classmate of Rob’s is Hollywood actor Dougray Scott.

Rob’s visit was part of a BBC documentary being made to celebrate his 50th birthday, which will be screened later in the year.