Back to RWCMD main site

Career Pathways: Creative Producing

10 June 2022

Filed Under:

Arts Management

Arts Management student Isaac Hall takes us through his experience on the Creative Producing pathway and how the course has placed him in a good position as he starts his career in the creative world…

As I get closer to completing my master’s degree, it becomes more and more apparent the importance of experience.

Rehearsing Isaac’s production, 1922.

I’m starting to look around and apply for jobs within the sector and it’s clear that almost every creative employer wants to hear stories and examples of when you tried and sometimes failed, at engaging with the demands of the industry.

This is something that, through the Arts Management – Creative Producing MA, I’ve been able to build up in bucket loads!

From undertaking two producing placements at RWCMD and The Sherman Theatre to creating an original production that was performed at the College, I’ve managed to experience many different elements of the industry that’s put me in a good position already as I start my career.

Producing an original production

My production, 1922, was born out of the creative producing classes led by industry professionals and became an assessed piece of coursework that included all of the behind the scenes preparation that’s needed before rehearsals can begin: budgets, schedules, campaign planning, funding bids and more!

Rehearsing 1922.

I knew that I wanted to make this production reality, so, I pitched my professional project proposal to the College’s REPCo scheme and began the work of bringing 1922 to life.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Isaac Hall (@isaachall___)

The project is based around a first draft script I’d written that celebrated the particular year, 1922, focusing on the lives of three important writers, Virginia Woolf, T. S. Eliot and E. M. Forster.

Through research and development workshops, the first draft was then edited, and we began rehearsing the finalised piece.

Rehearsing 1922.

By bringing 1922 to life, I learned so much about the creative sector.

From idea conception and production to developing original writing, the performance and evaluation, I put to practice all the skills I’d learnt throughout the creative producing course and came away with much more.

All the learning and new knowledge makes me so excited to put it to the test in future practice as my career develops.

Conservatoire setting

I’m fortunate to be learning in a conservatoire setting where there’s a pool of resources, knowledge and people who are all experts in the creative world.

I had first year actors perform the final piece for me; Rosie Boore, Jake Gildred, Elizabeth Bennett, Fred Pearce, and Aly Handley greatly enhanced the project.

Rehearsing 1922.

I worked on character development, editing dialogue, and experimented with staging.

I was also able to conduct all my extensive research by using the College’s own resources which definitely helped the project become a more true, but exciting version of itself.

I love the community of the College and how encouraged collaboration across the departments is. I’ve created strong relationships, partnerships and friendships with so many new people that I hope will continue to grow outside of Royal Welsh.

What are your plans for when you finish your studies?

I’m excited for starting my career as a creative producer and the future of this project in particular is bright!

Rehearsing 1922.

I’m planning to put on further performances over the summer and autumn months in hopes that it educates audiences to the wonders of the modernist movement and the year 1922.

Thanks to Isaac for writing about his Creative Producing journey. We can’t wait to see what you get up to as you move into the working world.

For more information about the Arts Management course and the Creative Producing pathway here.

Feature image: Annabel Atkins