Back to RWCMD main site

Designer Night is new Bad Wolf Diversity Scholar

2 February 2023

Congratulations to Design for Performance student Night Akter, who has been awarded this year’s Bad Wolf diversity scholarship.
Night who joined the College as an undergrad in September, is originally from Bangladesh, and discovered their artistic nature and passion for creation when they were 10 and has pursued it ever since.

Night recently visited the Wolf Studios Wales and went behind the scenes to see the latest incredible sets for Bad Wolf’s TV productions and to meet the people who help to create these on-screen worlds.

Night and a Dalek at Bad Wolf Studios

This was particularly exciting as they are really interested in progressing into prop creation and design, and they were able to see and experience this side of production first hand.

‘I’m really grateful to be awarded this Bad Wolf scholarship which has given me the opportunities to experience and take part in far more events and workshops than I would have previously.

Buying materials and design is often expensive and time consuming, especially when I’m at College full-time all week so have little time to earn money.

Knowing I have extra financial support from the scholarship has allowed me to enjoy my time at university so much more – thank you for giving me this chance.’

Night in the College's design studio

Night in the College’s design studio

Night has also enjoyed discovering how inclusive and inspiring the College and its students and staff are.

‘I’ve just finished my first term here and I’ve had an absolutely amazing time. The environment at College fosters a welcoming space of creativity, challenge and experimentation, constantly pushing each student further and further to become better designers.’

It’s not only in class that Night is able to explore their creativity, the College’s social events allow them to express themselves through one of their passions – cosplay.

During their first term Night was one of the key creators of Autumn Sunflowers, a project in which design students created giant paper sunflowers in support of the Ukraine.

‘I thoroughly enjoyed this project as it aligned perfectly with my own skillset and interests surrounding prop creation,’ explained Night. ‘I started off using just paper and cardboard to create beautiful pieces of origami which has since blossomed into more complex projects. It’s ignited my drive to pursue a future in the arts and I’m now incorporating further technical equipment to bring my projects to life on a larger scale.’

Night’s Sunflower project

This term it’s the annual Wearable Art project. With Night’s keen interest in prop creation such as staffs, masks, and headpieces, this project will build on their knowledge and passion, showcasing their talent as well as challenging their performance skills, as the designers all wear their own designs on the catwalk.

The technical theatre industry in Wales is rapidly expanding, and with many of our previous scholars employed with Bad Wolf and other industry leaders, the College is at the forefront of training these new professionals.

For the past two years Bad Wolf have partnered with the College to create diversity Scholarships, helping us to enhance our community and accessibility, and encouraging more individuals into the industry from varied backgrounds.

‘It’s an amazing time to be studying in Cardiff as there are so many creative opportunities on our doorstep.

The College has a fantastic relationship with Bad Wolf, and students come on regular placements here via Screen Alliance Wales, which often leads to full-time employment when they graduate.’
-Hannah Raybould, Operations Manager, Bad Wolf.

Bad Wolf has also supported The Young People’s Production Arts, giving creative young people the opportunity to experience a real insight into wider ‘backstage’ industries and creating a whole new generation of designers and technicians.

Thank you to Bad Wolf for their support.

To find out more about Design for Performance and Young People’s Production Arts course go to our website.